Aspartame has 92 health side effects one of which is weight gain. You may know aspartame as NutraSweet, Equal, or Spoonful.
Aspartame is made up of aspartic acid and phenylalanine amino acids. They are neurotransmitters, which mean they help communication form one nerve cell to the other. Now here is where it gets tricky, if there is too much communication, too much stimulation then it kills the neuron. The neuron was excited to death. Seems cool to think of it that way but we are talking about your brain. You know the brain that regulates everything in your body including the hormones that affect weight gain.
Methanol a by-product of the breakdown of aspartame forms formaldehyde. The body naturally produces formaldehyde and excretes it quickly. Scientists have shown that the body can get rid of 8mg per day. One 12oz diet can of soda has 56mg.
Study after study has shown how damaging aspartame is.
- There is a 75% increase in health related adverse reactions when added with any other food additives
- Most chronic illnesses become worst with Aspartame; fibromyalgia, Alzheimer’s, epilepsy, Parkinson’s, and birth defects
- A high level of phenylalanine lowers serotonin levels, which increase depression, schizophrenia, and seizures
- Diketopiperazine DKP, a product of aspartame has been shown to increase brain tumors, uterine polyps, and cholesterol
- There has been a 67% increase in brain tumors from 1973 to 1990
- Volunteers with severe headaches taken off aspartame had a 50% decrease in frequency and pain level of headaches in just three days and 75% decrease after a week
- Many USAF pilots lost their jobs do to seizures and blackouts caused by aspartame
- The increase of aspartame in products directly correlates to the boost of sales of Prozac
- Studies show that consuming regular sugar triggers the natural biological responses producing satiety, balanced insulin levels, does not affect metabolism and no food cravings.
- Studies also show that there is a greater weight gain with aspartame than with sugar
- A study of 80,000 women for twenty years showed that those that consumed aspartame products gained 80% more weight than those that did not
- It is well documented that aspartame stimulates the appetite, increases carbohydrate cravings, stimulate fat storage and increases weight gain. Many products that were labeled weight loss have aspartame.
- FDA no longer allows labels to say ‘weight reduction’; they are still labeled diet and still have aspartame in it.
Here are some of the symptoms of aspartame toxicity: blindness, decreased vision, blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision, pain in one or both eyes, decreased tears, bulging eyes, tinnitus, intolerance of noise, marked hearing impairment, neurologic, epileptic seizures, headaches, migraines, dizziness, confusion, memory loss, drowsiness, numbness of the limbs, slurring of speech, hyperactivity, restless legs, atypical facial pain, tremors, depression, irritability, aggression, anxiety, personality changes, insomnia, phobias, chest palpitations, tachycardia, shortness of breath, high blood pressure, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, pain when swallowing, itching without a rash, hives, asthma, diabetes, menstrual changes, thinning or loss of hair, weight gain, hypoglycemia, severe PMS, frequency of voiding and burning during urination, excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, bloating, increased susceptibility to infection, brain damage, birth defects, mental retardation, peptic ulcers, suicidal tendencies and death.
Aspartame toxicity has also been shown to trigger the onset or enhance the issues of the following: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Epstein-Barr, Post-Polio Syndrome, Lyme Disease, Grave’s Disease, Meniere’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, ALS, Epilepsy, MS, EMS, Hypothyroidism, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, non-Hodgkins, Lymphoma, and ADD
Aspartame toxicity cannot be detected in a lab test unless specifically looking for the changes in the ratio of amino acids in the blood. If going to the doctors has not revealed the cause of your symptoms look at your diet and environment. After 30 days of detoxification, most patients had very little to no symptoms.
Aspartame has so many side effects, including weight gain; it is a wonder why it is still being used. Manufactures believe that consumers want cheaper products. Nevertheless, man made products will always be more expensive than nature made.